Transform your regular smoothie into a nutritionally dense smoothie bowl. Creating a bowl with all the right ingredients can be a perfectly balanced meal. I love all the health benefits of Spirulina but the taste is a little jarring for me. I like how this bowl hides the intense taste and is jam packed with so much goodness.
Have you ever tried Spirulina? It’s an algae that is 60-70% protein, high in minerals, vitamins, amino acids, iron, chlorophyll, and magnesium. The recommended serving ranges from 1-2 teaspoons. Here are some health benefits from Dr. Axe.
- Detoxes Heavy Metals (especially Arsenic): Chronic arsenic toxicity is a problem. According to the World Health Organization the United States is one of the countries affected by inorganic arsenic that is naturally present at high levels.
- Eliminates Candida: Spirulina benefits have been shown to promote the growth of healthy bacterial flora in the intestines, which in turn inhibits Candida from thriving. Additionally, the immune-strengthening properties of spirulina will help the body eliminate Candida cells
- Boosts Energy: According to Dr. Oz, spirulina and lime enhance energy performance because they unlock sugar from our cells and, when frozen, the cold from the ice boosts metabolic energy while giving our bodies a “wake-up call.”
- Helps Prevent Cancer: Compared to untreated cells, experimental therapeutics significantly decreased proliferation of human pancreatic cancer cell lines in vitro in a dose-dependent manner. Essentially, this proves that consuming spirulina can help prevent developing various cancers!
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Phycocyanin is a pigment found in the spirulina that scientists have discovered possesses antihypertensive effects (it lowers blood pressure)
- Reduces Cholesterol: Spirulina benefits have also been shown to prevent atherosclerosis and reduce elevated blood cholesterol levels.
- Speeds up Weight Loss: Diets high in nutrient-dense protein-rich foods like spirulina promote weight loss and low-fat stores through a variety of mechanisms.
- Alleviates Sinus Issues: Known as allergic rhinitis, spirulina benefits the body by reducing the inflammation that causes people to experience sinus problems
Spirulina Green Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 bananas, peeled and frozen
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and blitz until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of almond milk to your liking. Aim for a consistency that is like soft serve ice cream.
- Pour the smoothie into 2 bowls and garnish it with any toppings you desire.
- Enjoy this nutritionally dense goodness in a bowl!
Topping suggestions: almond butter, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, fresh or frozen berries, goji berries, figs, banana, bee pollen, hemp seeds, granola, etc.